A tablespoon of sugar may be added to the batter for sweet crêpes, but with more they tend to scorch.
- 1 cup/125 g all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup/250 ml milk (more if needed)
- 2 tbsp/30 g melted butter
- 1/4 cup/60 g clarified butter, for frying
7 in/18 cm crêpe pan
1. Mix the batter, stirring in enough milk to give the consistency of thin cream. Let it stand 30 minutes.
2. Fry the crêpes. If storing, layer them with wax paper and wrap tightly so they do not dry out.
Variations: Whole wheat crêpes Substitute 1/2 cup/60 g whole wheat flour for half the all-purpose flour. Breton buckwheat galettes Substitute 1/2 cup/60 g buckwheat flour for half the all-purpose flour and omit one of the eggs.
Makes 14 to 16 crêpes.
La Varenne Pratique
Substituions: I only used whole wheat flour and eliminated butter from the batter.